Smart Storage Solutions for a Modern Kitchen
12 stylish ways to keep your kitchen clutter free
Give your kitchen a fresh start with these smart storage solutions.
1. The TM Italia bespoke kitchen island for Design-Apart (above) features the ultimate, big-picture storage solution. A retractable countertop opens up to reveal the sink, faucet and cooktop, so it’s easy to store all of your kitchen gadgets out of sight in one fell swoop. $40,000, Design-Apart, NYC, 646-202-0116.
2. The sleek, modern BK2 kitchen system by Gabriele and Oscar Buratti features a number of storage and organizational components, including multilevel shelving with slots for silverware and kitchen accessories, as well as retractable drawers. Silverware and accessories are included. System starts at $29,000, Effeti, through Red Star Cabinet Company, Inc., Farmingdale, NY, 631-694-6200.
3. The Lavido pull-out pantry takes kitchen storage to new lengths with four shelves that fully extend, allowing access to your items from all three sides. The soft open-and-close feature allows it to glide out on its own and prevents the shelves from slamming shut. Price upon request, Häfele, through Ring’s End, Darien, 203-655-2525.
4. For practical storage in a contemporary space, Wood-Mode’s Expressions kitchen presents a stunning mix of details, including these adjustable shelves in the Vista door style and Smoky Brown pear wood laminate. The shelf has a skid-resistant surface so contents don’t slide. Price upon request, Wood-Mode, through Powerhouse Kitchens & Appliances, New Milford, 860-355-3116.
5. Modern design meets traditional, handcrafted construction in the Metropolitan collection with pull-out drawers for easy access to an entire dinner service. Cupboards are available in custom, hand-painted colors, such as the Summer Berry finish shown here. Collection starts at $60,000, Smallbone of Devizes, NYC, 212-288-3454.
6. With the help of transFORM’s custom pantries, it’s a cinch to store dry goods, canned goods and more. Place your favorite fruit in pull-out chrome racks to make the items more visible, or hide smaller products like your pooch’s doggie treats in solid woven wicker baskets. Prices vary, transFORM (T), NYDC, NYC, 212-584-9580, New Rochelle, NY, 914-500-1000.
7. Bring big-city urban inspiration to your home with CTline, designed by Victor Vasilev for Boffi. Each unit varies in height and depth to create an irregular profile similar to a city skyline. Display wine bottles, cookbooks and glassware for a unique look; each shelf is sold separately and attaches at a 45-degree angle. Prices start at $784 (for 49.5-by-14-by-10-inch shelf), Boffi Soho, NYC, 212-431-8282.
8. The Poggenpohl drawer system is designed to reveal everything at a glance. With a choice of maple (shown here) or walnut, the extensive range of inserts for drawers and pull-out units can hold an entire kitchen’s worth of supplies—from utensils and cutlery to sweets and goodies, especially in this drawer with an added bread box. Price upon request, Poggenpohl (T), A&D, NYC, 212-355-3666.
9. Porcelanosa’s Worktop Storage and Organization unit allows you to mix and match with an assortment of countertop accessories to choose from, including knife storage, dish drainer, cutlery storage and more. The unit is made from Krion—a new antibacterial, 100-percent recyclable material. Prices vary, Porcelanosa, Riverside, 203-698-7618.
10. Keep the cocktail-party conversation going while you prep and entertain. This versatile staging, serving and storage unit is a counter extension that adds functionality to the kitchen. Autour, designed by Karen Williams, features a butcher-block top and is installed within existing cabinetry. Price upon request, through St. Charles of New York (T), A&D, NYC, 212-838-2812.
11. Now you see it; now you don’t! In this custom Deane, Inc. kitchen design, sliding slabs of Taj Mahal quartzite create an elegant and functional backsplash that hides two hidden niches—one with bleached rift-cut oak shelves for cooking spices and the other with an integrated television and sound system. Prices vary, Deane, Inc., Stamford, 203-327-7008, New Canaan, 203-972-8836.
12. The hub of the home has evolved, bringing a new angle to interiors. Arclinea’s Spatia project delivers the innovative Pocket—a recessed door system for the kitchen that conceals cooking and laundry areas completely from view. Shown with Nordic Oak finish, Elipsia handles in stainless steel and LED lighting system. Price upon request, Arclinea New York, NYC, 212-447-4000.
BROWSE MORE PHOTOS FROM THIS FEATURE In THE FULL GALLERY Below
A version of this article appeared in the January 2014 issue of Connecticut Cottages & Gardens with the headline: Out of the Box.